IPad2 + Android Phone = Extra HardDrive Storage for Ipad2!!
I'm new to this forum, and just want to share the good news that I "somehow" succeeded to sync my Galaxy S with Ipad2 and use phone's storage as an expansion for Ipad! Thus, this may justify to go just purchase 16 gig of Ipad, and save a couple hundreds $$$$, hopefully.
Last few days, I struggled so much to see if I really really need to buy HyperDrive as an expansion to 2-day old- 16 gig Ipad2 which was not ENOUGH to hold 20 HD movies for my coming trips and I've looked into EVERY options out there. I learned quickly this (having extra storage option) isn't really something Apple wants you to do. (why then sell 3 models?)
All viable options COST me either buying $200 HyperDrive for 500G (self-powered harddrive), plus $30 camera connection kit, or buying $200 GoFlex Satellite Seagate Harddrive to wifi streaming or use DropBox to stream or download files from FTP/NAS which I don't have any..
I do not want to go through options that requires my Ipad to be connected to internet for streaming, knowing not-at-home connection speed will jeopardize video quality and worst, what if I'm in no tethering/wifi zone?
I simply want to quickly transfer (no streaming) video files from external devices just like our PCs are connected to USB drives.
I found a way around that may expand Ipad storage proportionally to Android phone's external storage. Mine has 8 gig microSD. (After this success, I'm buying 32 gig!)
Please again be aware that it worked for my Galaxy 4G S + Ipad 2 only. Mine was not rooted, but has 2.2 Froyo with Mobile AP feature.
Following steps will describe movies stored from my phone getting transferred to Ipad 2. Since I'm only 2-days experienced to iOS/Ipad/Apples, I'm sure there could be a better apps to accomplish this, but again I haven't seen anyone trying to expand their Ipad's storage this way yet with a success.
Samsung Galaxy 4G S-Tmobile with 2.2 OS
Ipad2-16Gig Wifi Only-Ver. 4.3.4
1. Turn on Mobile AP from the phone and connect Ipad to it. If phone doesn't support Hotspots, we need to root the phone and install wifi tethering program. Basic goal is to establish direct wifi connection by making the phone as "access point", a.k.a. wifi tethering.
2. Download/Install/Run SDCardWifiAccess from Android Market and remember phone's http address.
3. Download/Install/Run Oplayer HD Lite from Ipad.
4. On Ipad's Oplayer, Click Open URL and type http address.
5. You will see directory trees, and navigate it to where movies are located.
6. Click either Save or Play for streaming. Saving will take time at speed of wifi connection between your devices. (it's fast as you would transfer files within wifi networks)
That's IT, I'm happy to know I'm carrying external portable storage for my Ipad 2 that can be accessed and downloaded anytime!
Best of all, I didn't have to root my Galaxy S/jailbreaking Ipad/No carrying extra storage devices except my Phone and all this cost $0!
Any better recommendations will be appreciated!