Tricking out your iPad 2
While I patiently :( wait for my iPad 2 to arrive, I've been researching the toys & tools I need to complete the package. Here's my list - what will you be getting:
- Gray smartcover - couldn't resist and Zagg says it works with their new Zaggmate
- Zaggmate with keyboard - this will allow me to take notes in meetings sans laptop
- Gelaskins custom skin - made my own because their artwork wouldn't fly in my office
- Helostrap - for all important one-handed operation without dropping
- Verizon 4G mifi - when it comes out. Probably off contract so I can ditch it if the iPhone 5 has 4G tethering.
- InvisibleShield for Zaggmate - gotta protect that aluminum from unsightly scratches.
- VGA adapter - will try mirroring with projector for presentations. Anyone know of a pointer app for keynote?
- Griffin Stylus - Only one my corporate account had available, but did get good reviews
- Homemade AC vent holder - to use Helostrap in the car. This will be my interesting project for the summer.
- Undecided stand - Either I'll make one out of parts that allow me to use the Apple IR remote to control iTunes via iPad and wifi or I'll buy something that has a remote of it's own and costs an arm and a leg.
- Mobilenoter - Syncs with OneNote for meeting notes
- New Browser - something that works with Flash
- Remote Desktop app
- Driving Game - after I compare their optimizations for iPad2 GPU
- PocketInformant - needs Exchange OTA access, but it's the best out there
- Bible app - lots to choose from - suggestions?
- Numerous other seemingly productive apps that will probably do more to waste my time than save it.
This is a great list - thanks for sharing it with us. I use Pocket Informant and totally agree it's the best out there. I was interested, too, in some of your DIY projects for the hardware - I hope you'll share some of those with us - maybe post some pictures?
Originally Posted by realistdreamer
I have PCalc too as my scientific calculator and TuneIn for entertainment 'on the move'.
thats a shed load of gizmos you have there. all i'll be getting extra will be a tv mirror cable, smart cover and stylus (home made)
BTW - did you know that OneNote has released a version for the iPhone now? I don't know if they'll be doing iPad next or not (I know someone I can ask), but you could use the iPhone version on your iPad if you wanted. It's free right now, and looks like it has better reviews than MobileNoter. Just thought I'd mention that.
Now I'm off to check out the other apps you list - thanks for the info!
I did see that. MS just offered it. The Mobilenoter website has a comparison the features and MS looks like a version1 product. Frankly, I was underwhelmed by their OneNote app on Windows 7 Phone. It goes to show that despite having all the code at their disposable, it still takes a significant investment to build a quality app.
Originally Posted by pennicat
I'll watch the development of both, but as now Mobilenoter wins. Syncing is key for me so whoever wins that wins me over.
Glad you posted. Definitely doing the same thing. Will share later. I find that I'm treating the arrival of my iPad 2 like the birth of a child! I'm buying her clothes and food and toys. Got her a strap to pin to me.
Yeah, I'm not too impressed by the version for W7 phone either. I know for a fact that they were developed by two entirely different groups and have been told that the iPhone version is much better, and I think one update has already been released. I'm trying to find out if they'll be doing an iPad version as well.
Originally Posted by realistdreamer
Found that there are many vent holders out there, so I'll probably purchase one once I figure out how to integrated all the cords, operate my stereo and get the back camera to shoot video while driving.
Car Air Vent Mount with Expandable Cradle for Apple iPad, Apple iPad 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Blackberry Playbook, eLocity A7, Motorola Xoom, HP Slate, Archos 101 70, Viewsonic gTablet ViewPad, SuperPad and Others
So are the vent holders really that savvy? I'm glad they'll be cooling the iPad or whatever but will they really be that sturdy? Could someone do a review?
Clothes for my baby:
I pre-ordered a grovemade case
Found a macally bookstand 2 on eBay for cheap as a temp case.
Bought a cute little decal so she can have some underwear on when she takes her coat (eBay decal cut outs for iPad $5)
Also, I'm looking at getting a pretty sticker decal off eBay (search sticker deal iPad 2 $12)
Swiss army mini pack pack (eBay $25)
Gotta refurb apple keyboard ($50)
Kuel h10 stylus (eBay $13)
Things I want:
Airstash wifi SD drive